Wedding legalities

As a Registered Civil Marriage Celebrant, it is my responsibility to ensure that your marriage complies with the Australian Marriage Act (1961). There are certain guidelines and criteria that must be fulfilled by law.

What you need to know and do:

  • You must be over the age of 18 to marry (exceptions are permitted with authority of the Court)
  • A Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be completed and provided to me as your celebrant at least one month prior to your wedding ceremony (and is valid for 18 months).
  • You must provide to me evidence of your date and place of birth (i.e. your original birth certificate or Australian Passport, or if born overseas, your international passport, provided it has not been cancelled).
  • You must provide proof of your identity (e.g. your Driver’s Licence, Passport, Australian Citizenship Certificate)
  • If applicable, you must provide evidence of dissolution of a previous marriage (e.g. original Divorce Certificate, or an original Death Certificate of the previous spouse)
  • All documents must be legible in English. If documents are in a language other than English, they must be officially translated by NAATI (this is at the cost to the couple)
  • Prior to your marriage, you must sign a declaration (Form 14), stating there is no legal impediment to your marriage.
  • The marriage must be witnessed by two people who are over 18 years and you have to provide their full names.
  • Particular legal wording must be incorporated in the ceremony (e.g. in the Monitum and vows). I will discuss this with you and how to include this wording in the ceremony whilst still making it uniquely yours.

During the ceremony, you will both sign three documents:

  • Certificate retained in the Marriage Register
  • Certificate forwarded to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • Certificate given to you as a record of your marriage. This certificate is an official document and evidence of marital status, but it is not a proof of identity document.